Presently, Project Professor, Keio University (Global Research Institute)
Other appointments include:
– Member, Executive Board, WHO
– Advisor on International Affairs to Minister of Health, Labour and Welfare (Global Health Personnel)
– Member, Board of Directors, National Center for Global Health and Medicine
– Director, Human Resource Strategy Center for Global Health
– Specially Appointed Professor, Osaka University (Public Health)
Formerly Assistant Director-General of the World Health Organization (March 2007- May 2015); Director-General, Department of Health and Welfare for the Disabled Persons, Social Welfare and War Victims’ Relief Bureau, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Japan (Aug 2005-Feb 2007).
He has worked in the public health policy areas at various local, national and international positions and turned to academia since June 2015. As the aging is the top priority in Japan, naturally his focus has been on cross-sectoral policy development to prepare for the Super-ageing society. He engaged in developing the senior citizen’s health law in the Ministry of Health and integrating health and welfare services at community level in the Hiroshima Prefecture.
He has more than 100 English and Japanese publications and his recent contribution to a book “Financial Gerontology (Toyo Keizai Shinpo, Co; 2017)” edited by Professor Atsushi Seike is being translated into Chinese and Korean.