The APRU Student Esports Paper Competition will recognize outstanding papers in the field of Esports. Selected papers will be considered for the competition and presented at the 2021 MetaGame Conference in Hong Kong on December 11, 2021 (virtually). Winners will receive award certificates and scholarships paid directly to their university.
The purpose of the paper competition is to support Esports as an academic area of study. We will encourage students to have innovative and quality research in the Esports field, as well as, promote the long-term investment of Esports research which will enrich students’ and universities’ resources and knowledge sources in an emerging field.
- The competition will recognize a First Prize USD $3,000 and Runner-up USD $1,000 winner in three categories.
- Winning submissions will be published in the International Journal of Esports.
* The winning submission in each category has the choice of USD $3000 scholarship paid directly to students’ institution or USD $1000 cash prize. The runner-up prize in each category has the choice of USD $1000 scholarship paid directly to the students’ institution or USD $300 cash prize.
Business Models for the Esports Industry
- Sustainable Esports growth in societies in the Asia Pacific
- Immersive Technologies
- Esports marketing and event production
Esports for Social Good
- Diversity and Inclusion in the Esports Industry
- Game design for social innovation
Health/Wellness in Esports
- Player Welfare
- Psychological impact of Esports gaming
- Technology and innovation
- The submitter must be a current undergraduate or college student as of December 2021.
- Students must be enrolled at any universities or colleges in the Asia-Pacific Rim, please see the list of APRU member economies for reference.
- Faculty and/or an industry member may serve as an advisor on a project, but the work should primarily be done by the student(s).
- The paper must be written by the student(s) with only minor outside editorial assistance. One or more advisors may appear as co-authors of a paper, but the student must be the ‘first author’.
- Papers can be industry projects as part of a course or co-op/internship, or research projects done at the academic institution.
- To submit your entry, complete the submission form and upload your PDF submission by December 3, 2021 (extended deadline).
- Students are invited to work individually or in teams of up to 3 members.
- Papers should be written in one of three categories (Business Models for the Esports Industry, Esports for Social Good, Health/Wellness in Esports).
- Papers should be no more than 1,200 words in English.
- Entries should include bibliography, index, appendix and citations in APA format. These items are not included in the 1,200 word count.
- 6 finalist teams will present their papers remotely to compete for first and second place in each category on December 11, 2021.
- Teams will have to chance to win up to USD $3,000. Prizes will be distributed in either a form of scholarship paid to the university for student fees or up to USD $1,000 cash award paid to students.
- Interested students should complete the submission form with entry uploaded by December 3, 2021 23:59 (HKT).
- Open Call for submissions: October 15 – December 3
- Submission Deadline: extended til December 3, 2021 23:59 (HKT)
- Judging Period: December 3 – December 9, 2021
- APRU Metagame Conference Paper Presentations and Award Ceremony: December 11, 2021 9AM (HKT).
Submit your entry here for the APRU Esports Paper Competition by December 3, 2021 23:59 (HKT). The entry should be in pdf format and saved by family name of lead author and the title of submission. Please also include a title page with all students’ full name, course of study, email, university name, and title of the submission.
Evaluate the submission for accuracy (30%), relevance (20%), clarity (20%), and originality (30%).
A group of academics / professionals will serve as judge. Scoring rubrics will be used for the judging.
Prof Peichi Chung
Associate Professor, Department of Cultural and Religious Studies, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Mr Tom Dore, Head of Education, British Esports Association
- Dr Aaron Koshy, Chief Editor, International Journal of Esports
- Mr Terence Leung, Senior Manager (Esports and Youth Team), Hong Kong Cyberport Management Company Limited
- Mr Timothy Shen, Founder and Investor, Yesports Media Limited
- Prof Patrick Williams, Associate Professor of Sociology, School of Social Sciences, Nanyang Technological University
- APRU Secretary