The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN-ESCAP) and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) – in cooperation with the United Nations University- Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS), the Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU), and the United Cities and Local Governments-Asia Pacific (UCLG-ASPAC) – invite newly elected or appointed city mayors/governors in the Asia-Pacific region to join the Mayors’ Academy for Sustainable Urban Development.
The deadline for submission is August 23, 2019.
This fellowship is to create and support a network of local leaders and mayors in Asia-Pacific committed to sustainable urban development through annual weekly intensive “boot camp” and ongoing peer-learning.
The expert-formed academy will:
- Develop capacity to increase the leaders’ ability to address urban sustainability issues;
- Assist mayors to become knowledgeable of cities’ contributions to climate and sustainable development goals (SDGs) and targets to strengthen commitment to global development;
- Increase the use of sustainable urban development tools, resources and technical solutions by newly-elected mayors in the region, as well as city-to-city cooperation opportunities;
- Facilitate and strengthen the regional resources available to mayors and local authorities in support of the implementation of sustainable urban development;
- Establish a network of informed mayors and local leaders to serve as regional advocates for sustainable urban development in support of global development agendas.
- A newly-elected or appointed mayor/governor, typically in the first third of the term.
- Must commit to attending the training sessions on October 15-17 at Penang, in December 2019 at Bangkok, and tenth session of the World Urban Forum in February 2020 at United Arab Emirates. Selected candidates’ expenses will be paid.
[Deadline & Contact]
Find out more information on the website.
Fill in an application form and submit it by August 23, 2019.